The police chief is a “megalomaniacal despot” who protected corrupt local government officials and fabricated false misconduct reports against officers who refused to participate in the corruption
In the lawsuit, the officers allege that the police chief is a “megalomaniacal despot” who protected corrupt local government officials and fabricated false misconduct reports against officers who refused to participate in the corruption that exists in the department. The lawsuit also alleged that McDonough “used the department as his own personal playground.”
The lawsuit also suggested that the chief was guilty of “harassment and hostile employment actions against those who disagree or question the propriety of his own mismanagement and corrupt and unlawful practices, or those whom he simply does not like – irrespective of their performance as law enforcement professionals.”
The Alternative Press has made a summary of the most serious allegations in the complaint:
- McDonough maintained a sort of “hit list” of officers he disapproved of and would demean these officers and ignore their complaints.
- Both McDonough and Captain Kevin Kitchin used the Internal Affairs department (of which Kitchin is the head) to create a phony paper trail of documents discrediting the aforementioned officers.
- That McDonough used police department assets, including personnel, equipment and vehicles, to conduct personal business.
- That crime statistics have been manipulated by McDonough to present a misleading picture of crime in the borough.
- That McDonough would protect friends and associates from facing criminal charges for any alleged misdeeds.
The lawsuit involves six police officers, which is a large portion of the police department in the town of only 6,000 people. There are only 25 people in total employed with the Roseland Police Department.
Town attorney Ethan Jesse Sheffet called the lawsuit “completely frivolous” and included “a bunch of personal attacks against the chief and opinions. I’m confident that the case is ultimately going to be dismissed.”
Chief McDonough is notorious for his corrupt practices in the area, even his lawyer admitted that there have been several accusations against him in the past.
“This complaint isn’t the first time that some of these officers have voiced dissatisfaction,” Sheffet said.
Patrick Toscano, an attorney representing the officers said that, “When one fourth of your department sues, it would be reasonable to suggest that maybe a change at the very top of the departmental structure is in order. Simply put, the Roseland PD has some serious, serious problems.”
Police Captain Kevin Kitchin is also named in the lawsuit as a defendant and an accomplice to the chief’s corruption.
John Vibes is an author, researcher and investigative journalist who takes a special interest in the counter culture and the drug war. In addition to his writing and activist work he is also the owner of a successful music promotion company. In 2013, he became one of the organizers of the Free Your Mind Conference, which features top caliber speakers and whistle-blowers from all over the world. You can contact him and stay connected to his work at his Facebook page. You can find his 65 chapter Book entitled “Alchemy of the Timeless Renaissance” at bookpatch.com.