When the Department of Homeland Security announced in April that it would be creating the “Disinformation Governance Board” to combat what it referred to as “disinformation aimed at the US population and infrastructure,” anyone who is not completely asleep or embedded in the system began to raise red flags. This newly established “Ministry of Truth” was a massive threat to the very fabric of freedom of information and to top it off, it was to be headed by one of the largest purveyors of disinformation in government — Nina Jankowicz.
As TFTP pointed out last week, Jankowicz is the so called “Russian disinformation expert” who was set to take charge of the group. She had risen up through the ranks of the bureaucracy by peddling disinformation of her own, such as the RussiGate hoax, and lies discrediting the Hunter Biden laptop scandal as “Russian disinformation.”
In addition, as noted by journalist Ben Norton, Jankowicz has a storied career as a torch bearer for the establishment. Working for CIA cutouts helping to run regime-change operations in eastern Europe; Smearing anti-war journalists; And referring to WikiLeaks as “scum” while baselessly accusing them of working for the Kremlin.
It appeared — for the time being — that the US was about to have an actual Ministry of Truth and it was to be run by a peddler of war and lies. On Wednesday, however, all that changed and the DHS announced that it was “pausing” its disinformation board amid fierce backlash.
Thanks to massive resistance, the “Disinformation Governance Board” has been shelved… for now.
Not surprisingly, the establishment media is claiming that only Republicans resisted the measure. This is in stark contrast to reality when outlets like the World Socialist Web Site, came out swinging against it, correctly stating that the board will target “anyone who opposes the US imperialist narrative” including “left-wing voices who are exposing the role of the US and NATO in instigating and stoking the war with Russia as part of larger geostrategic aims that include war with China.”
What’s more, despite the board being the brainchild of liberals, plenty of Republicans got on board as well and their only grievance was that they wanted to use it for their benefit.
In reality, it was the average Joe who resisted the board and spawned a bipartisan grassroots effort to expose it, revolt against it, and end it.
Naturally, watching their Orwellian creation turn to temporary ash, has many establishment shills in an uproar — especially the Washington Post — whose owner, Jeff Bezos, has already called for the board to be used.
Pro-censorship hypocrite “journalist” for the WaPo, Taylor Lorenz was devasted to hear that the board was shutting down and immediately published a hit piece to blame it on her political rivals. According to Lorenz, online bullies — who would dare talk about Jankowicz’s extremely tainted past — were responsible for the board’s downfall.
In her article, laughably titled, “How the Biden administration let right-wing attacks derail its disinformation efforts,” Lorenz opines on how Jankowicz — who has a history of spreading disinformation — is a “victim” of “online attacks” which have forced the DHS’s hand to pause their efforts in establishing a ministry of truth.
Lorenz came to the defense of the board, falsely claiming that “neither the board nor Jankowicz had any power or ability to declare what is true or false, or compel Internet providers, social media platforms or public schools to take action against certain types of speech.”
However, we know this is false because Jankowicz herself said so last week, when she declared on a Zoom meeting that she wanted the power to edit people’s tweets.
After lamenting that many verified Twitter users don’t deserve to have blue-check status because they aren’t trustworthy, she said, “So verified people can essentially start to edit Twitter the same sort of way that Wikipedia is so they can add context to certain tweets.”
The government directly editing tweets goes far beyond “compelling” social media and delves right into the realm of state-sponsored propaganda. But it was the mean right wing bullies’ fault, right Lorenz?
Going further, Lorenz played Jankowicz’s victim card for her by laughably claiming that it was somehow immoral or wrong for non-establishment media to mine “Jankowicz’s past social media posts” to “generate controversy.” In reality, however, where we choose to live, her history is important and painted a disturbing picture of the ostensible information czar and her ridiculous and inconsistent past.
Lorenz then blamed the Biden administration for allowing these “attacks” to continue online, seemingly by refusing to censor them, which led to the board’s demise.
According to Lorenz, the deeply Orwellian disinformation board was brought down by the very thing it was supposed to stop. In truth, however, it was actual factual information that led to the downfall of the disinformation board — not the other way around — and this should be celebrated.
If Lorenz has her way a “free press” would only exist to oust private citizens, like the owner of Libs of TikTok for retweeting public videos of liberals, and not keep in check or expose powerful government officials who demand the power to literally alter our realities online, wage wars for profit, and possess the capability to end the world as we know it.
Well, Ms. Lorenz, it’s a damn good thing you didn’t get your way… and to all those who shared Jankowicz’s past posts and tainted history, we salute you.