When Gutenberg introduced the printing press in 1440, the world had no idea that things were about to drastically change. Prior to the release and production of the printing press, books were incredibly expensive, rare, mostly written in Latin, and reserved for royalty and clergy.
The spread of information was kept under lock and key.
However, in just a few decades after its spread throughout the world, Gutenberg’s press had rolled out hundreds of millions of books. The operation of a printing press became synonymous with the enterprise of printing and lent its name to a new branch of media, the press.
The world was becoming informed.
Hailed as one of the most important inventions in human history, the printing press helped societies break free from the ignorance and bondage imposed upon them by the keepers of information. Over the next 400 years, those with access to information about peace and freedom began to rise up against their oppressors. Instead of monarchies and dictatorships, republics and democracies were born.
The world was well on its way to becoming a Land of the Free. Unfortunately, however, with information — comes propaganda.
Not being able to control the dissemination of information, tyrants decided to control the actual information instead. Certain books were burned, banned, and shunned. Only establishment-supporting nationalistic books were promoted which led to entire societies believing their patriotic stories about how their countries ‘played the key role in the development of the modern world.’
“Who controls the past controls the future; who controls the present controls the past.” -George Orwell
For decades, the world was tricked by slick establishment propagandists, who wrote their version of heroic history. Tyrants were painted as saviors; mass murderers hailed as great discoverers. The world was slipping back into a dark age of control and manipulation.
However, there was one thing that these keepers of information didn’t count on — the internet.
The internet, like the printing press of the 15th century, has revolutionized the dissemination of information. With the internet came the instant and immediate access to any information, distance was no longer a barrier to communication, and the alternative media was born. Instead of millions of people getting info, it was now billions.
Access to this ever-expanding, limitless amount of information can now all be accessed by a device that fits in your pocket.
The encouraging effects of the spread of information are materializing daily.
One of the most heinous acts of information manipulation in the United States is the celebration of Columbus day. Americans proudly celebrate the “discovery of America” by the heroic Christopher Columbus every October, despite the fact that he was a rapist mass murderer.
However, thanks to the massive spread of information, people are waking up to the ridiculous and vile nature of celebrating such unspeakable acts.
In just the past two months, eight cities across the US have officially stopped celebrating murder and tyranny and changed ‘Columbus Day’ to ‘Indigenous Peoples’ Day.’
Below is a list of the eight cities, by US Uncut, who’ve been positively changed by the spread of information.
- Albuquerque, New Mexico – The city’s formal declaration”encourages businesses, organizations and public entities to recognize Indigenous Peoples Day, which shall be used to reflect upon the ongoing struggles of Indigenous people on this land, and to celebrate the thriving culture and value that our Indigenous nations add to our City.”
- Lawrence, KS – Since September, students from Haskell University in Lawrence, Kansas have been taking initiative and pushing for the city to honor their ancestors by declaring October 12th Indigenous Peoples’ day. Just this Wednesday, they won.
- Portland, OR – Portland’s City Council declared Indigenous Peoples’ day on Tuesday, something tribal leaders have been seeking since 1954.
- St. Paul, MN – In August, St. Paul followed Minneapolis by declaring Indigenous Peoples’ Day instead of Columbus Day. Minneapolis passed its own resolution last year.
- Bexar County, TX – The resolution was passed Tuesday, and local activists intend to press for the same thing in San Antonio.
- Anadarko, OK – In September, Anadarko declared Indigenous Peoples’ Day. Anadarko Mayor Kyle Eastwood signed the proclamation while surrounded by tribal leaders from the Apache, Choctaw, Delaware, Wichita and others.
- Olympia, WA – Mayor Pro Tem Nathaniel Jones presented Olympia’s proclamation at a rally in August. Nearly 150 people showed up to support the initiative.
- Alpena, MI – In September, Mayor Matt Waligora declared Indigenous Peoples’ Day. The city says they desire “to develop a strong and productive relationship with all indigenous peoples, including the Saginaw Chippewa Tribe, based on mutual respect and trust.”
While eight cities may not seem like a huge step forward, it marks the beginning of the end of a fairy tale shoved down the throats of school children for far too long.
The gesture of the day is not enough, however, as long as we continue to ignore the current oppression of Native Americans. The indigenous people of the North American continent are still being oppressed and killed at a higher rate than anyone else. It is time we start to push this conversation to the forefront of the public debate.
There is still a long road ahead, but a lesser ignorance is the tool by which we reach the end of that road. Help to spread this lesser ignorance by sharing this article.
DASH cryptocurrency and The Free Thought Project have formed a partnership that will continue to spread the ideas of peace and freedom while simultaneously teaching people how to operate outside of the establishment systems of control like using cryptocurrency instead of dollars. Winning this battle is as simple as choosing to abstain from the violent corrupt old system and participating in the new and peaceful system that hands the power back to the people. DASH is this system.
DASH digital cash takes the control the banking elite has over money and gives it back to the people. It is the ultimate weapon in the battle against the money changers and information controllers.
If you'd like to start your own DASH wallet and be a part of this change and battle for peace and freedom, you can start right here. DASH is already accepted by vendors all across the world so you can begin using it immediately.