Washington, D.C. — The Pentagon has since pulled a video from their website they claimed was obtained in last week’s Yemen raid — after it was exposed to be vintage Al-Qaida footage that was made public a decade ago.
On Friday, the Pentagon posted the video to the Defense Video Imagery Distribution System (DVIDS) website in an attempt to justify the raid in Yemen that cost the life of one US Navy SEAL and several Yemeni civilians.
Following the release of the video, the mainstream media ran with it.
“The raid resulted in the seizure of materials and information that is yielding valuable intelligence to help partner nations deter and prevent future terror attacks in Yemen and across the world,” US Central Command (CENTCOM) declared in a statement.
Trump also hailed the raid as a succes and noted that “important intelligence” was obtained, which he said would “assist the US in preventing terrorism against its citizens and people around the world.”
Pentagon spokesman Navy Captain Jeff Davis asserted that even though the video was a decade old and already public, that it was obtained in the raid, along with other intelligence the Pentagon was not able to release to the public.
“It does not matter when the video was made; that they had it is still illustrative of who they are and what their intentions are,” Davis said, according to Reuters.
The Captain’s assertion that the video was found in the raid was contradicted by pentagon officials who claim they mistakenly released the old video that was not recovered during the raid.
In their email release of the old video, CENTCOM said that “one of the videos demonstrates the process for making triacetone triperoxide, an explosive used in numerous terrorist attacks, including the attempted ‘shoebomber’ attack in 2001 and the attacks across the London transportation system in 2005.”
However, as Business Insider points out, the method to create TATP can be found within seconds on Google, along with how-tos for many other incendiary devices and other weapons. It’s also easy to find Al Qaeda and terrorist propaganda online, such as the fiery sermons of Anwar al-Awlaki, an American-born Al Qaeda cleric, who despite being killed in 2011, has continued to inspire other militants to carry out attacks.
The idea of the deadly raid being justified over a decade-old public video would be laughable had it not caused so much bloodshed.
While President Trump was publicly mourning the death of a SEAL Team 6 member, while the Pentagon denied any civilian casualties, several reports from Yemen indicate that as many as 10 women and children were also killed in the raid.
Among the dead was the 8-year-old granddaughter of Nasser al-Awlaki, Nawar Anwar al-Awlaki, who was also the daughter of Anwar Awlaki — a US citizen extrajudicially murdered by the Obama administration. Nasser al-Awlaki explained that his granddaughter was shot in the neck and suffered for hours as she bled to death.
Nawar Anwar al-Awlaki’s death will now undoubtedly be used as militant propaganda as it was the second of al-Awlaki’s children to be killed by the United States.
“The perception will be that it’s not enough to kill al-Awlaki — that the US had to kill the entire family,” Karen Greenberg, director of Fordham University’s Center on National Security, told NBC. According to the Middle East Monitor, the US was already being accused on social media of “assassinating children.”
And now, as this report illustrates, the child and Navy SEAL were killed so the Pentagon could flaunt a 10-year-old public video as some awkward victory.