Cop Rehired Despite Bashing Handcuffed Hospital Patient’s Face In, Falsifying Report

Spread the love

Chicago, IL — As we originally reported, a disturbing video of a cop blowing a fuse surfaced out of a Chicago hospital, showing an officer beating a mentally ill patient who was restrained with handcuffs.

Officer Clauzell Gause, who is 6’6″ and 235 pounds, was captured on surveillance footage from the Jackson Park Hospital brutally beating a patient who had his hands cuffed behind his back.

This incident happened in June of 2014, yet it took nearly two years for prosecutors to charge Gause — in spite of the video evidence showing him needlessly beating a handcuffed man. When asked by the Chicago Tribune why it took so long to charge Gause, Sally Daly, a spokeswoman for State’s Attorney Anita Alvarez said they had trouble finding the victim.

Apparently witnessing the officer maim a handcuffed individual on video isn’t enough to charge him. The victim, who’s medical records documented multiple lacerations and swelling of his forehead from the beating, had to be found by the Independent Police Review Authority before Gause could be charged.

Not only was he not charged immediately after the assault, but he didn’t face any discipline from his department other than being placed on desk duty. Gause alleged that the victim, while getting his blood pressure taken, stood up and punched him. However, that is not captured on video.

When we originally reported on this story in 2016, after Gause was charged, a judge promised that he would never go to jail.

In federal court, the officer’s blue privilege prevailed when the judge refused to allow the prosecutor to play the video and stating that no matter what, Gause would not see a single day in jail.

“I don’t think locking you up is going to serve any purpose. … I don’t think you are a danger to anybody,” Judge Adam Bourgeois Jr. said.

“You and I and those like us who chose a life of public service, we’re held to a higher standard,” the judge said in ordering the officer released. “That’s the long and short of it. Whatever happened, happened. … You have to face the consequences.”

According to the judge, being held to a ‘higher standard’ means granting special treatment to depraved individuals who assault incapacitated mentally ill hospital patients.

The judge was right about not spending any time in jail and in 2019, all the charges were dropped against Gause. Now, he’s even been reinstated. As the Chicago Sun Times reports, “in a 5-3 vote during its monthly meeting Thursday, the board passed a motion finding Officer Clauzell Gause not guilty of making a false statement about his use of force and restoring him to his position.”

In his report, Gause explicitly lied about what happened. Not only did he completely omit the fact that his victim was handcuffed when he attacked him, he also told investigators that he never made contact with Rayshon Gartley’s face. But video evidence proved these were both lies. Despite falsifying evidence and assaulting a handcuffed man, Gause is now back on duty again and will likely receive years of back pay.

As the video shows, Gause is seen manhandling the defenseless man before throwing him into the wall. After the man bounces off the wall, Gause then pummels his face, knocking him to the bed. Then, for good measure, Gause nails the mental patient in the face two more times with his left hand.

Gartley would go on to sue the city and win a $175,000 settlement.

While it is bad enough that Gause was reinstated for punching a handcuffed man and lying about it, when we look at his past, as reported by the Chicago Tribune in 2016, his reinstatement is outright criminal.

According to the city records, obtained by the Tribune, Gause amassed at least 11 complaints from November 2006 to June 2014, including one related to the Jackson Park incident. City records obtained by the Tribune show that three days after the incident a complaint was filed against the officer with IPRA.

Court records also show that Gause was one of 11 Chicago police officers named in a federal excessive-force lawsuit stemming from the December 2013 arrest of a man outside a White Castle restaurant at 103rd Street and Michigan Avenue.

Jerome James alleged in his lawsuit that two of the officers were in the restaurant’s drive-thru when they were flagged down by a security officer who had seen James throwing a bottle of beer in the trash. James was arrested and taken to the Calumet District lockup, where he “exchanged words” with one of the officers, prompting a vicious assault, according to the suit.

Below is a video showing what Chicago cops can get away with and keep their jobs. This is “public service” in the land of the free.

Spread the love
Sponsored Content:

About Matt Agorist

Matt Agorist is an honorably discharged veteran of the USMC and former intelligence operator directly tasked by the NSA. This prior experience gives him unique insight into the world of government corruption and the American police state. Agorist has been an independent journalist for over a decade and has been featured on mainstream networks around the world. Agorist is also the Editor at Large at the Free Thought Project. Follow @MattAgorist on Twitter, Steemit, and now on Minds.