Skip to main content

Tragedy, another child is dead because of police aggression. Keith Vidal, who had just celebrated his 18th birthday last month, was killed by a police officer who responded to the family's Boiling Spring Lakes home Sunday afternoon.

Police responded to his house after Vidal, who according to parents, is schizophrenic, picked up a screw driver and refused to put it down.

Mark Wilsey Sr., Kieth's father, told reporters, two responding officers were able to calm Vidal before another officer walked into the family's home.

It was when the third officer walked in that the 90-pound teen was stunned with a Tazer and fell to the floor.

According to Antohony Owens, a family friend, Vidal Collapsed backwards on to the floor the two officers jumped on top of the 5ft 3 100 lb Vidal to restrain him.

As Vidal's Father tried to step in and grab the screw driver the Southport Police Officer that had instructed the other officers to use their tasers, moved between the father and the pile of people on the floor and said "We don't have time for this" and shot Vidal Once in the chest as the other two Officers held him on the floor.

Vidal's father then grabbed the officer as he was lining himself up for another shot.

This morning an event report of the incident was released that mirrors the family's recount.

According to the report, the first unit on scene was a Boiling Spring Lakes officer who arrived at 12:34 p.m. He was joined shortly after by two additional BSL officers and a Brunswick County Sheriff's Deputy. 

Scroll to Continue

Recommended for You

The first unit on scene reported a confrontation in the hallway, but told Brunswick County Dispatchers several times that everything was OK.

Unit 104 from Southport arrived on the scene at 12:48:41, fourteen minutes after the first officer had already been on scene.

Seventy seconds later, Unit 104 radioed out that he had to fire shots at the subject in order to defend himself.

The officer's name has been with held pending an internal investigation. Brunswick County District Attorney John David was on the scene just a few minuets after the news of the Shooting happened. He has Launched an SBI investigation into today's tragic events.

The family were not invited to a press conference yesterday but attended it anyway at which point it was moved to a back room to talk to the media before family. Still no details were released.

A detective from the Southport Police Department is on paid administrative leave after an officer involved shooting that happened at a home in Boiling Spring Lakes Sunday afternoon.

Apparently a 100 pound kid, that has just been tazed and is being held down by two cops, poses a life threatening danger to an armed jackboot with a badge who doesn't "have time for this."

We will keep you updated on this story as more details unfold.

Below is the press conference: