Skip to main content

Chicago, IL -- Damning dashcam footage has been released this week showing a Chicago cop approach a DUI suspect with his gun drawn, only to run back a minute later and turn the camera off.

Chicago Police Department dashcam policy is clear, stating “during the recording of an incident, department members will not disengage the in-car video system until the entire incident has been recorded.”

One of the six cops who stopped him found George Roberts' identification card that showed he was a supervisor at the IPRA. As the supervisor for the Independent Police Review Authority, (IPRA), Roberts is responsible for investigating claims of police misconduct and officer-involved shootings.

Roberts is a civilian whose job is to investigate crooked cops. After a nightmarish interaction with six Chicago cops, however, Roberts became the subject of his own work.

Once they discovered that Roberts was a man who is tasked with holding police accountable for a living, the dashcam recording of the incident goes black and the officer is caught in complete violation of the department's policy.

According to a federal lawsuit filed this week, after leaving a bar on New Year's Day 2015, Roberts was pulled over by six of Chicago's finest.

What happened next, according to the lawsuit was nothing short of sheer and brutal humiliation.

Scroll to Continue

Recommended for You

First the officers attacked Roberts by throwing him to the ground before putting him into the back of the squad car.

Roberts, who is 6' 3" and 315 pounds, is too large for traditional cuffs to fit behind his back. But the Chicago cops did not care and forced them onto Roberts, which in turn, caused him a lot of pain.

According to the suit, when Roberts complained to the officers that he was in severe pain, Officer R. Adams, taunted him with Eric Garner's last words.

"What are you going to tell me next, 'you can't breathe?'" said Adams. 

The lawsuit then details how Roberts was thrown to the ground by the officers again. This time, he was thrown down with so much force that he lost control of his bowels.

Roberts was then taken downtown, charged with DUI, and thrown in a cell where he was forced to stay overnight in his soiled clothing. During his stay in jail, he would face further humiliation as a supervisor came to the cell to taunt and laugh at him, according to the suit.

According to the "official" police account, Roberts was drunk and fell down, causing injury to himself. They also claim that he soiled himself in the back of the cruiser.

But the official account cannot be trusted as they also claimed that there was no video evidence. During the trial for Roberts' DUI charge, however, his counsel discovered its existence and Roberts was subsequently acquitted.