Skip to main content

Wolfe City, TX — The tragic case of Jonathan Price shocked the country earlier this week after the local hero was gunned down for reportedly helping a woman in need. Adding to the tragic nature of his death, on Thursday, we found out that before he was shot four times, body camera footage showed that he attempted to shake Officer Shaun Lucas' hand multiple times.

CBS 11 released the details of a probable cause affidavit they obtained from Lucas' arrest. The officer's body camera footage reportedly captured Price greeting the officer with a handshake before being gunned down.

According to the affidavit, Lucas was responding to a call of a “possible fight in progress” at a ‘Kwik Chek’ convenience store around 8:30 p.m. on Saturday, October 3. Texas Ranger Laura Simmons, who prepared the affidavit, noted that what happened next gave the department justification for charging the cop with murder.

The affidavit notes that when officer Lucas exited his patrol car, Price did not attempt to flee nor did he pose any threat whatsoever to the officer. Instead, Price greeted the officer. According to the affidavit, Price “came very close to Officer Lucas asking ‘you doing good’ multiple times while extending his hand in a handshake gesture.”

Simmons says Price apologized for broken glass on the ground and said someone had tried to “wrap me up,” during the altercation in which Price reportedly tried to break up a domestic dispute.

As CBS 11 reports:

Scroll to Continue

Recommended for You

The affidavit then details how Officer Lucas believed Price was drunk and tried to detain him, by grabbing his arms and using verbal commands. Simmons says, Price replied, “I can’t be detained.”

Officer Lucas then pulled out his taser and warned Price to comply. According to the affidavit, Price responded by walking away. It was then that Lucas fired his taser, which Simmons noted was “not fully effective”.

Price, she wrote, then walked toward the officer “appearing to reach out and grab the end of Officer Lucas’ taser.” Lucas then fired his gun 4 times, hitting Price in the upper torso.

Because Price had not committed a crime, he should have been free to go but he was not allowed. When his well being was threatened by the officer, he simply acted to defend himself and was killed for it. The video of the interaction, physical evidence, and witness testimony led the Texas Rangers to determine that Officer Lucas “intentionally and knowingly caused the death of Price.”

It is important to point out that the charges against Lucas were brought in spite of the fact that the affidavit does not mention the scenario as told by eye witnesses that Price was helping a woman out of a domestic violence situation.

The police union appointed attorney for Lucas denies the officer did anything wrong and issued a statement this week saying in part, “Officer Lucas only discharged his weapon in accordance with Texas law when he was confronted with an aggressive assailant who was attempting to take his taser.”

If greeting an officer and nicely asking to shake their hand makes you an "aggressive assailant" in the eyes of police, the citizens of Texas should take extreme caution when dealing with cops.

As TFTP reported, Lucas, 22, was booked into the Hunt County Jail on Monday night, the Texas Rangers said in a statement released by the Texas Department of Public Safety. Jail records show bail was set at $1 million.