Skip to main content

St. Louis, MO -- Earlier this month, an officer with the St. Louis police department shot and killed Mansur Ball-Bey. Ball-Bey's tragic death immediately sparked outrage, and days of protests followed.

According to the original police report, two officers were executing a search warrant at a home looking for drugs, when two armed men fled out the back. At this point, police claim, Ball-Bey, 18, turned toward the police and pointed a gun at them, so the fired on him.

Police then said that after he was shot, Ball-Bey dropped the gun in the back yard and ran through a gangway into the front yard, before collapsing from the bullet wound.

Original police reports made no mention of where Ball-Bey was hit when he was allegedly turning to shoot at officers.

Last week, however, when the autopsy report was released, it showed that Ball-Bey was shot in the back. The bullet entered his back and exited through his heart.

Immediately after this release of information, police Chief Sam Dotson made the following statement:

"Just because he was shot in the back, doesn't mean he was running away. It could be. And I'm not saying that it doesn't mean that. I just don't know yet."

Despite Chief Medical Examiner Dr. Michael Graham finding that Ball-Bey's spinal cord was severed from the bullet last week, this information was not released to the media until now.

Scroll to Continue

Recommended for You

The severing of Ball-Bey's spinal cord is an essential component in this case, which was conveniently left out. If the bullet cut his spinal cord in half, how was it that Ball-Bey ran from the back yard, where he allegedly dropped the gun, al the way to the front yard?

"It's a matter of the physical evidence as it's been preliminarily portrayed," Graham told CNN. "It made me question how could a body be in this place if this happened?"

Now, Graham seems to be changing his official story.

"At the time his body was found, I determined the spinal cord was severed," he said. "That is not necessarily the way it was immediately after he was shot.

"Potentially, the natural progression of the damage to the spinal cord could have been a delayed separation instead of instantaneous."

However, according to the family's attorney, who spoke with Graham after the shooting, Graham said that Ball-Bey's injury would have caused him fall instantly.

"When I initially spoke to Dr. Graham, he indicated that Mansur -- after being shot -- would have gone down immediately or that his momentum may have carried him no more than five feet before he would collapse," said attorney Jermaine Wooten. "But when that narrative didn't line up with the police officer's narrative I feel we are dealing with a revisionist theory."

His family maintains that Ball-Bey was merely an innocent bystander in this situation. The family says that he was outside of the home when the raid happened and was just scared. Judging from the inconsistencies that are rife throughout the 'official' narrative, we have no reason to not believe them.

Police are still investigating the shooting.