Skip to main content

"Once they ruled this a homicide, now you all of a sudden find something on him? C'mon. Let's be realistic."

The Free Thought Project

Mike Sawyer

August 4, 2014


22 year-old Ramsey Orta was the young man who shot the gruesome video of the NYPD killing Eric Garner. 

The cops placed father of 6, Eric Garner, in a chokehold and slammed his head to the pavement, piling on top of him as he gasped for air, eventually killing him.

The video went ultra viral, helping to expose the atrocious police state.

Because of people like you sharing these stories and Ramsey Orta making them, these pressing issues are being forced into the mainstream.

Friday the New York City Medical Examiner’s office released a statement ruling the official cause of death a homicide due to “compression of neck, chest and positioning during restraint by police.”

Scroll to Continue

Recommended for You

Then, on Saturday, according to NBC New York, police said plainclothes officers from a Staten Island narcotics unit saw Orta stuff a silver, .25-caliber handgun into a 17-year-old female companion's waistband after they walked out of the Hotel Richmond. Police called the location, on Central Avenue, a "known drug prone location."

Police said Orta had a previous weapon conviction that prohibited him from possessing a firearm.

Police say an unloaded semi-automatic weapon was recovered from Orta. It was reported stolen in Michigan in 2007. They say Orta is in a hospital being treated for a medical condition.

However, Orta's wife believes this arrest was a setup.

"It's not fair," said Chrissie Ortiz. "And it's obvious. Once they ruled this a homicide, now you all of a sudden find something on him? C'mon. Let's be realistic. Even the dumbest criminal would know not to be doing something like that outside. So the whole story doesn't fit at all."

Orta had been friends with Garner for several years, he referred to Garner as “the neighborhood dad.”

This was not the first time Orta had used his cell phone to record police brutality. Just a week prior to filming Garner’s death, he filmed another violent arrest at the same location.

Then, just a week after Garner's death, Orta reported to Time that he was already receiving harassment from police for the filming of Garner's death.

“It just gives me more power to not be afraid to pull out my camera anytime,” he says. “Even if they’re pushing me back, I might just like keep going forward and if I get arrested, hey, I got something on camera.”

We may never know if this was a setup or not. But it certainly was a 'lucky break' for the NYPD, that only a day after the death of a man, who died in their custody was ruled a homicide, that the man responsible for exposing it, is now in their custody.