Skip to main content

Southhaven, MS – After his death an independent autopsy found that 30-year-old Troy Goode died from being hog-tied face-down for an extended period of time. The Southaven, Mississippi police department tried to blame Goode’s death on LSD, but there is no scientific basis for this claim.

Now, six years after his death, Goode's family is finally seeing justice in the form of a civil settlement. Earlier this month, Troy's widow, Kelli Goode announced that her case was finally heading to court and last week, the civil trial started.

However, apparently scared of being hammered in the trial, on the second day in the case of Goode vs. the City of Southaven, the defense through in the towel.

According to WMCA, attorney for the Goode family, Kevin McCormack, said the defense attorney waved him over as the jury was entering the courtroom.

“We had been negotiating quite a while to try and reach a fair settlement in this case,” McCormack said. “I’m very pleased that on the second day of trial, the city decided that it was the right time to go ahead and settle the case.”

The amount of the settlement was undisclosed but McCormack and his co-counsel Hiram Eastland said it’s enough to ensure the Goode family’s financial future is taken care of.

“Just looking at our client this morning after we were able to do this, there was a burden lifted off her shoulders,” Eastland said.

“No amount of money will ever bring someone back, but the family is happy that they were able to fight and after six years, they were able to get justice for Troy,” McCormack added.

As we reported in July 2015, Goode and his wife attended a concert in Southaven where they took LSD. Goode began acting funny in a parking lot, and someone thought it was necessary to call the police.

The cops’ answer was to hog-tie Goode and place him face-down, which is known to be a potentially deadly position.

Scroll to Continue

Recommended for You

Bystander footage shows Goode being hog-tied, thrashing around, and then being placed into an ambulance. Several onlookers state their disbelief that cops would place someone in this dangerous position, with one even saying it’s good they are getting video “in case he dies.” Goode was pronounced dead an hour after arriving at the hospital.

A friend of the family contacted the Free Thought Project and said that Goode was asthmatic and he was denied his inhaler. We were also told that cops threatened to arrest friends and family if they visited Goode at the hospital.

The family has never accepted the official story and believes that excessive force and the manner of restraint killed Goode. Apparently the city could not prove otherwise, which is why they quit during the trial.

After his death, not wanting to wait six to eight months for a state autopsy to be performed, Goode’s family had an independent one performed. Attorney Tim Edwards released the results at a news conference in Memphis.

He was suffocating. His heart increased into what is called tachycardia. There is no scientific basis to attribute his death to LSD.

This was lethal force, putting someone in a prolonged hog-tied position. This was not a situation where a 300-pound man attacked a police officer in the dark. This was a science nerd.

The toxicology report ... rules out any drug-related causes. That takes that off the table. LSD does not cause heart failure.

Southhaven Mayor Darren Musselwhite issued a statement defending the officers and said Goode posed a danger to himself and others. He also claims that Goode threatened officers and resisted arrest, and continued violent behavior in the ambulance. Musselwhite stated that Goode never said he couldn’t breathe, but the video and bystander reactions indicate that Goods was showing signs of distress.

The autopsy found no evidence of pre-existing disease that would have caused the death, and there is no known case of a person dying from LSD overdose. Troy Goode was having a bad trip, but it was the cops’ use of a dangerous restraint tactic that killed this husband and father.

None of the officers involved ever faced any accountability.

“As much as I want it to be over, I still want some accountability,” said family friend Sam Maroon. “I want to see this case referred to federal civil rights investigation. Troy’s civil rights were violated.”