Skip to main content

Spotsylvania County, VA — An hour after a Virginia sheriff's deputy gave him a ride home and dropped off Isaiah Brown, 32, he would return to Brown's home and fill the unarmed innocent man with bullet holes. Brown was shot while on the phone with 911 dispatchers after the deputy mistook Brown's phone for a gun to his head.

Body camera footage and the 911 recordings were released over the weekend detailing the steps which led up to the shooting. According to his family, Brown is currently in a Spotsylvania hospital in critical condition.

The same deputy who filled Brown with bullet holes responded to a call about a "disabled motorist" and gave Brown a ride home from a gas station earlier that evening. An hour later, he would return to Brown's home, mistake a cordless phone for a gun, and open fire on the innocent man.

"After viewing the Spotsylvania County Sheriff's deputy's bodycam video and listening to the 911 call, it is evident that the tragic shooting of Isaiah Brown was completely avoidable," David Haynes, an attorney for Brown's family, said in a statement. He said Brown was "on the phone with 911 at the time of the shooting and the officer mistook a cordless house phone for a gun."

According to the 911 audio, Brown was involved in a "domestic incident" with his brother, who reportedly wouldn't let Brown into their mother's room. As the deputy arrives on the scene, Brown tells the dispatcher that he is outside.

"You need to hold your hands up," the dispatcher tells Brown. "Hold your hands up ... Isaiah, are you holding your hands up?"

The video is too dark and blurry to determine if Brown had his hands up. However, the body camera video shows the deputy arriving at the scene and yelling at Brown to show his hands. The deputy then yells, “drop the gun,” multiple times and appears to say over his radio, “he’s got a gun to his head.”

"Drop the gun now and stop walking towards me," the deputy then yells. "Stop walking towards me. Stop. Stop."

Scroll to Continue

Recommended for You

At this time, the deputy opened fire, repeatedly shooting Brown for holding a phone.

After filling Brown with bullet holes, the deputy continues to yell at Brown to show his hands. As he walks up to him, Brown has fallen on the ground and the deputy is heard calling in the shooting.

The officer claimed he only fired five shots on the radio, however, more than five shots are heard on the video. Also, the family told reporters that Brown had been shot 10 times and is in ICU.

Haynes said Brown "clearly told dispatch that he did not have a weapon" before the deputy arrived.

"The deputy in question made multiple, basic policing errors and violated established protocols," Haynes said. "The deputy was situated nearly 50 feet from Isaiah, was never threatened and should not have discharged his weapon."

According to a report from CNN, Brown's family is also asking for the release of the dispatch audio with the deputy prior to the shooting, Haynes said, adding there was "obviously a failure of communication between dispatch and the officer which led to this tragic event."

"Isaiah is now fighting for his life as a result of these completely avoidable errors by the deputy and dispatch," Haynes said.

The deputy, who has not been named, has been placed on administrative leave according to Sheriff Roger Harris who released a video statement released alongside the body camera footage and 911 audio.