The United States is already engaged in combat operations (within the last year) in at least seven countries; Afghanistan, Iraq, Libya, Pakistan, Somalia, Syria, and Yemen. And the latest rhetoric coming from the Trump administration seems to want to add Iran to the list.
Earlier this week, President Trump’s National Security Adviser Michael Flynn said Wednesday he was “officially putting Iran on notice”. On Thursday, when asked to clarify Flynn’s comments, White House Press Secretary Sean Spicer pointed the finger of blame toward Iran.
Spicer said, “I think General Flynn was really clear yesterday that Iran has violated the Joint Resolution, that Iran’s additional hostile actions that it took against our Navy vessel are ones that we are very clear are not going to sit by and take.” He then reiterated Flynn’s warning by adding, “I think that we will have further updates for you on those additional actions. But clearly wanted Iran to make sure they understood that they are on notice. This is not going unresponded to,” Spicer emphatically stated. The only problem with Spicer’s comments is that they’re reportedly patently false!
Iran did not attack a U.S. Naval vessel. On the contrary, it was a Houthi rebel group (only aligned with Iran) which attacked a Saudi naval vessel, not an American one. The war rhetoric is reminiscent for some of the time when the U.S. proclaimed the Vietnamese had attacked a U.S. vessel in the Gulf of Tonkin in 1964. The fake news story issued by the U.S. government led to a nearly 10-year war in Vietnam against the North Vietnamese.
Not content with allowing Spicer to get away with proclaiming a lie, CBS News’ Major Garrett corrected Spicer by telling him it was a Saudi vessel, a clarification which Spicer acknowledged without any self-correction on his part. Spicer simply said, “Sorry, thank you, yes a Saudi vessel. Yes, that’s right.”
Spicer’s gaffe happened on the same day Trump's adviser Kellyanne Conway put forth the notion the media was somehow biased towards the Trump administration. “I bet there was very little coverage that President Obama had a six-month ban on the Iraqi refugee program after it was discovered two Iraqi’s came here, were radicalized, and were the masterminds behind the Bowling Green massacre,” she told MSNBC’s Chris Matthews. The only problem with her claims is that just like Spicer's fake story, they did not happen. Not only did the Obama administration not put the refugee program on hold, but no massacre took place in Bowling Green.
Recommended for You
However, what did take place was an FBI entrapment scheme to get a few former Iraqi insurgents to involve themselves in a weapons-running operation to Iraq. Conway backtracked on her comments through Twitter, having later tweeted she meant to refer to them as the “Bowling Green terrorists.” But even that admission of misspeaking is inaccurate as well. In fact, no one was hurt in the FBI’s sting operation.
Fox News' Judge Napolitano " target="_blank">recently opined on the FBI's so-called "thwarted terror plots." According to the judge, the FBI has engaged in 17 plots to identify loners, whom the FBI identified as potential terrorists. Napolitano said the FBI, "befriended them, cajoled them, and persuaded them" to engage in a terror plot to commit illegal activity. Napolitano declared, "none of this keeps us safe. All of this makes us less free as any one of us can be entrapped, and we are fools if we praise the government for exposing a plot of its own creation and saving us from a danger that never existed."
Judge Napolitano then asked, "Are we really safe in a false sense of security?" "When no one is harmed and the government controls the plot aren't we just punishing someone for his thoughts. And in a free society aren't free people to think as they wish? This must be so. Because if the government can punish us for our thoughts, there is no limit to its power," he said emphatically.
Officials from Bowling Green, Kentucky also responded by saying in a statement, “while in 2011, two Iraqi nationals living in Bowling Green were arrested for attempting to provide money and weapons to terrorists in Iraq, there was no massacre in Bowling Green.” And Mayor Bruce Wilkerson said he also appreciated the clarification given by Conway.
Taken as a whole, the two stories serve as an example of “fake news” put out by members of the Trump administration. Whether the motives for doing so are war with Iran, or simply a reaction to defending the Trump administration’s travel ban on seven largely Muslim countries, is anyone's guess at this point. Free thinkers everywhere can only hope the U.S. and it's war machine, military industrial complex aren't planning for yet another devastating war with Iran.
It has long been the position of The Free Thought Project that the reason why there exists a “radical Islamic terrorist” problem is because the U.S. continues to bomb people in the Middle East and elsewhere, a move which creates more terrorists.