WATCH: Iran Launches ‘Revenge’ Attack on US Base in Iraq, Pentagon Vows Retaliation

Spread the love
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •   
  •   
  •   

(RT) Video footage has emerged purporting to show the first moments of an alleged Iranian retaliatory strike on an American base in Iraq, which comes days after a US assassination of a top Iranian general.

“‘Hard revenge’ begins / Army’s heavy missile attacks on US base in [Ayn al-Asad],” wrote the semi-official Fars News Agency amid reports of a heavy missile attack on an American airbase in Iraq.

Several other unconfirmed photos also circulated on social media alleging to show the attack in progress.

At least six rockets have struck the Al-Asad airbase in western Iraq, which houses US troops, and there are unconfirmed reports of up to 30 missiles. The incident comes as the US and Iran stand on the brink of open war.

“Multiple sites” have come under attack by Iranian ballistic and cruise missiles, Fox News reported citing anonymous Pentagon officials. There has been no official confirmation from the US Department of Defense.

Iranian news agency FARS reported the launch of multiple missiles in “revenge” for last week’s drone strike that assassinated IRGC Quds Force head General Qassem Soleimani at the Baghdad international airport, along with several leaders of the Iraqi Shia militia.

Anonymous Pentagon officials claim the missiles came from Iranian soil, which would be a first since the Iran-Iraq war ended in 1988.

The attacks come after US President Donald Trump ruled out any US withdrawal from Iraq, contrary to a letter that was sent to the government in Baghdad on Monday by a regional US commander.

Pulling out would turn the country over to Iran, Trump said. He also threatened Iran with “tremendous” strikes if it dared attack US forces.

Al-Asad is located in Western Iraq’s Anbar province, and was targeted by a rocket attack in early December, just a week after the Thanksgiving holiday visit by US Vice President Mike Pence and his wife Karen. There were no casualties and the rockets’ origin was never identified.

The Pentagon said it would take “necessary measures” to defend US troops and regional allies following reports of Iranian missile strikes on US facilities in Iraq, confirming that over a dozen missiles were used in the attack.

“Iran launched more than a dozen ballistic missiles against US military and coalition forces in Iraq. It is clear that these missiles were launched from Iran and targeted at least two Iraqi military bases,” the Pentagon said in a statement on Tuesday, adding that it was now working on “initial battle damage assessments.”

As we evaluate the situation and our response, we will take all necessary measures to protect and defend US personnel, partners and allies in the region.


Spread the love
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •   
  •   
  •   

About The Free Thought Project