Skip to main content

Disturbing video of a woman's arrest over a curfew violation was released this week. It shows Dalia Kafi, 26 years old at the time, in handcuffs and standing against a wall before being savagely attacked by officer Alex Dunn, who threw her down with so much force, her head bounced off the concrete floor.

The incident unfolded on Dec. 12, 2017, when Kafi realized she was about to be out past her court-ordered curfew. Kafi was not allowed to be outside of her home from the hours of 10:00 p.m. to 6 a.m. Realizing it was getting close to her curfew, Kali asked a friend to drive her home.

On the way home, however, Kafi's friend was targeted for extortion by officer Dunn when she turned right during a yellow light. Dunn had no reason to even question the Kafi as she was the passenger in the vehicle and had not been suspected of committing a crime. However, he did anyway.

Not wanting to go to jail for being out past curfew, Kafi originally gave police her sister's name but eventually caved and gave officer Dunn her name. She was immediately arrested and taken to jail for violating curfew.

While being processed into the jail, Kafi was told to stand against the wall to take a photo and she complied. During the photo, however, Dunn decided to attempt to remove — with extreme prejudice — the scarf which was around Kafi's hair.

After violently yanking at the handcuffed woman's head several times, Kafi can be seen "shrinking away" in frustration. Staff Sgt. Gordon Macdonald, who was the commanding officer at the APU described Kafi as "flinching back."

Pulling back from someone who is violently yanking at your head is a natural reaction. However, Dunn took it as justification for near-deadly violence and used a "judo-style throw" to take the tiny woman down.

The subsequent slam shattered Kafi's face, breaking her nose and gashing open her lip as her head bounced off the steal wall and then the concrete floor. Kafi had harmed no one, yet for being out a few minutes after curfew, she was violently attacked by police and left badly injured.

Kafi was left dazed on the ground, in a pool of her own blood as other officers rushed in to check on her.

Scroll to Continue

Recommended for You

In a rare move, Staff Sgt. Macdonald, who witnessed the incident, turned in his fellow officer, calling it the "worst use of force" he's ever seen. As a result, Dunn was charged and is now on trial — which is why the video was released.

"There's only one type of sound when somebody's bone hits the floor and that's what I heard," Macdonald said in court.

After the attack, Kafi was taken to the hospital. As CBC reports, normally, the arresting officer accompanies an arrestee to the hospital, but Macdonald felt it wasn't appropriate for the constable to continue to be in Kafi's presence.

"I advised him that it was the worst use of force that I had seen," said Macdonald.

Upon arriving at the hospital, Kafi had to receive stitches and surgery to repair her face.

Despite the attack caught on video, and despite the fact that Dunn was charged with assault causing bodily harm for attacking Kafi, this officer was suspended with pay for a year and has since been brought back for an administrative role. He was never fired.

This is a major problem among police not only in the United States, but Canada as well. The department said it will only complete its internal investigation, after the trial, and will determine only then if Dunn's use of force was considered reasonable.

The fact that the video below exists and Dunn remains on the police force is a kick in the teeth to justice.